Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Join!
History
Share |


The way we were...

Established in 1970, the PSHP began as a volunteer driven state-wide professional society. Currently, the association is governed by an 18-member board of directors and supported by a full-service management team. The following brief history describes the growth of PSHP to an association of more than 900 members employed in various practice settings throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

October 18, 1938

Philadelphia Hospital Pharmacists Association (PHPA) founded in the office of the president of Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science (PCPS). PHPA was the sixth oldest formal organization of hospital pharmacists in the US.

1939

Around the 1930’s, many states had formed their own hospital pharmacy organizations. At that time, Dean Edward Spease had published his set of Minimum Standards for Hospital Pharmacy, and the sub-section on Hospital Pharmacy was formed within APhA.

1940

Harvey Whitney, a chief pharmacist and chairman of the sub-section, suggested the need for "a unified organization of hospital pharmacists.” As a result, him and other pharmacists set up and submitted a constitution and bylaws for approval.

1942

After a few years, the American Society of Hospital Pharmacists was formed with a charter membership of 154 at the APhA Annual Meeting in Denver.

January 24, 1948

Western Pennsylvania Society of Hospital Pharmacists (WPSHP) found.

1950

WPSHP became an ASHP affiliated chapter and was listed as a regional chapter since PHPA did not affiliate with ASHP until a few years later.

1952

PHPA affiliated with ASHP.

August 1952

PHPA served as the host organization for the Decennial Meeting of ASHP which was held in Philadelphia. Believed to be "PHPA’s grandest hour” by PHPA’s leaders.

1953

Guild of Philadelphia Hospital Pharmacists formed by Thelma Connolly. Most Guild Members had dual membership with both the guild and PHPA.

1959

Pennsylvania Council of Hospital Pharmacists formed which included five representatives from PHPA and five from WPSHP along with other members.

1959

PHPA name changed to Greater Philadelphia Hospital Pharmacists Association.

1960

Greater Philadelphia Hospital Pharmacists Association name changed to Eastern Pennsylvania Hospital Pharmacists Association.

1961

Eastern Pennsylvania Hospital Pharmacists Association name changed to Delaware Valley Hospital Pharmacists Association

1963

Northeastern Pennsylvania Society of Hospital Pharmacists found.

1964

Southeastern Pennsylvania Society of Hospital Pharmacists found

1965 – 1992

HOSPITAL PHARMACY COMES OF AGE

1966

Delaware Valley Hospital Pharmacists Association name changed to Delaware Valley Society of Hospital Pharmacists

1966

ASHP Midyear clinical meetings established

1970 – 1971

Pennsylvania Society of Hospital Pharmacists (PSHP) founded, as an outgrowth of the Pennsylvania Council of Hospital Pharmacists. PSHP’s purpose was to represent all hospital pharmacists in Pennsylvania. ASHP accepted PSHP as the affiliate state chapter for Pennsylvania.

1971

Northcentral Pennsylvania Society of Hospital Pharmacists found.

1973

Northwestern Pennsylvania Society of Hospital Pharmacists found.

1974

Keystone Society of Hospital Pharmacists found at the PSHP Annual Assembly.

1976

Mideastern Pennsylvania Society of Hospital Pharmacists found.

1977

Voted to incorporate PSHP BOD.

1977

PSHP Newsletter Established – Vol. 1, No. 1 (July-Aug.-Sept.).

1980

PSHP Mid-Winter Conference-1 held Feb. 8-10 in Philadelphia (name was eventually changed to midyear conference in 1987).

1980

Establishment of an Executive Secretary (Herbert Flack appointed) position using part time paid staff, with an office at PCPS was approved by PSHP BOD.

1980

Southcentral Pennsylvania Society of Hospital Pharmacists was found.

1985

PSHP established Sister Mary Gonzales Duffy Lecture Award.

1986

PSHP held the first state-wide follow-up of the ASHP "Hilton Head Conference” in Lancaster, PA. It was an invitational conference with seventy pharmacy practitioners and educators from Pennsylvania which was held April 8, 9, 10th and was called "Directions for Clinical Pharmacy Practice in Pennsylvania.”

 

1986

PSHP established an Executive Director position with clerical staff and an office at PCPS. PSHP was the 2nd state affiliated chapter to establish a full-time society management staff.

William M. Ellis, R.Ph., MS, assumes the Executive Director role.

1988

Joe E. Smith Award established by PSHP.

1990

Bux-Mont Chapter founded.

1991

"The Center for Proper Medication Use” established by PSHP as a Research and Education Foundation.

October 29-30 1992

PSHP sponsored invitational consensus development conference in Harrisburg entitled "Directions for Pharmaceutical Care in Pennsylvania” which was a follow-up to the PSHP conference, "Directions for Clinical Pharmacy Practice in Pennsylvania” held in April 1986.

1995

ASHP changed its name to the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. The organization was renamed due to the changes occurring in the hospital setting which go beyond inpatient care and extend to include ambulatory and home care.

1997

William Ellis leaves his post as the PSHP Executive Director to become executive director for the APhA Foundation.

Victoria Elliott is hired as Executive Director for PSHP.

2002

After the hard work of pharmacists throughout Pennsylvania, the Pharmacy Act (Act 102 of 2002) was passed, which is a revision of the Pharmacy Act of 1961. The revised act includes the "recognition of managing drug therapy in the institutional setting, and the authority in Pennsylvania for pharmacists to administer medications including injectables, biologicals, and vaccinations” to patients aged 18 years or older.

2003

In October PSHP celebrated its 35th Annual Assembly

January 1, 2006

PSHP’s Headquarters moved from the University of the Sciences, where the first staff office was established.

more Calendar

11/14/2017
BuxMont Night with Industry and Dinner Meeting

Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal